Room Selection & Assignments
Students who complete a contract are eligible to select their own room during the room selection period that begins in May. The earlier you contract, the earlier you may select your room. Once the room selection period is closed, you will be assigned a room. Students may change their room selection online through the housing portal for a limited time. Room selection dates will be posted in the Housing Portal.Returning students may select their room immediately after completing the University Housing contract.
Availability of RoomsReturning students select their rooms before new students, which means many spaces will be full before new students even begin selecting their rooms. Many areas or rooms have specific eligibility requirements (i.e. restricted Living Learning Communities). We have plenty of space for our new students, but you may not get your first choice, regardless of when you complete your contract or select your room. New students need to be flexible your first year and you will be able to select your room before the following year's new students when you renew your contract. Students who fail to select a room will have one assigned to them by our staff before the start of the semester.
Room Selection Steps
To select a room, eligible students (those who contracted during the appropriate periods listed above) should follow the steps below. If your first choice isn't available, you should still select a different room or one will be assigned to you. Students may make changes to your room selection while the online room selection is available.
- Log into the Housing Portal on your assigned room selection date.
- Click "Residence Halls" at the top of the screen.
- Select the Fall / Spring term.
- Search for available rooms - you can see all available rooms for which you are eligible or you can search by “Room Type”, “Location”, and/or “Living Learning Community”.
- View rooms with vacancies for which you are eligible. To request an exception to Living Learning Community (LLC) requirements, contact the individual listed on the specific LLC page. Exceptions are at the discretion of the LLC contact and are not guaranteed.
- Once you have selected your room, you will be able to view the profile of your suitemate and message them using the Housing Portal.
- You will be able to change your room selection in the Housing Portal for a limited time after you choose your room.
- If you and another student wish to be suitemates, it is up to each of you to find an empty suite and select those rooms in the Housing Portal.
The profile of a prospective roommate is viewable when you select a room, provided the other space(s) have also been selected. If the profile isn't a good match, you may select a different room. If you wish to live with a new student, please contact us for assistance. The first few days of the contract renewal period allow students to reserve their current room, pending eligibility and availability. View floor designations to determine if any changes have been made. We then open room selection to any available room. These dates are posted throughout the areas and are emailed to current students. Students must meet eligibility requirements for the area, building or room that they select.
Current students who contract but do not select a room will be assigned a room and roommate in late summer. Students who choose a room that has a person in the other space will be able to view contact info for that person and can communicate with that person to determine compatibility. Students who choose a room with a double vacancy may be assigned a roommate or reassigned to another room unless they select another room with someone in the other space or a single room.