Southern Illinois University Carbondale

SIU Logo

Residence Halls FAQs

Why is there a on-campus housing policy and who is required to live on campus?
Living on campus has been shown to help students do better academically and get more involved. Most of our first-year students are required to live on campus. Our upperclassman students are invited to live on campus. The SIU Carbondale Student Housing Policy offers more details regarding who is required to live on campus.

How do I contract for a residence hall?
Once you're admitted to SIU, you may complete a residence halls contract provided the contract is open. Contract dates and times depend on the semester you enter SIU and on our contract schedule. Typically, the earlier your contract (once the contract opens), the more choices you have of where to live. Visit our Residence Hall Contracts page for more information.

Where are single rooms available?
A limited number of singles are available throughout housing.

Can I loft or bunk my bed?
Each residence hall bed may be lofted or bunked. Beds on West Campus and in some rooms in University Hall are lofted prior to students moving in. Residents in other residence hall areas may check out a lofting or bunking kit from their area Housekeeping Office. Lofting and bunking kits may be distributed special distribution locations during move-in. Signs will direct residents to these points.

What are the dimensions of typical residence hall rooms?

  • Mae Smith, Neely & Schneider Halls, East Campus: 17 feet x 14 feet
  • University Hall, East Campus: 16 feet x 11 feet
  • Thompson Point, West Campus: 19 feet x 12 feet

How do I change rooms?
Students with a residence hall contract may select and change rooms online during their assigned room selection period. Students who contract after the online room selection has closed will be assigned a room and roommate. After move-in, students wishing to change rooms should go to their area office. Room changes will be processed as space become available. Students may not move until they receive an approved copy of the Contract Change Form from Residence Life staff. Room changes may be made only under the supervision of the Resident Assistant and Residence Life Staff.

University Housing reserves the right to change the room assignment of a student at any time, to authorize or deny room and roommate changes, to consolidate vacancies, and to over-assign spaces.

Can I choose my own roommate?
Information on roommate selection and assignment is available here.

What if my new roommate won't respond to my calls or emails?
While we realize this can be frustrating, the contact information that you have is the same information provided to us. You may want to see if they are on Facebook or try mailing your roommate a postcard or letter in case their email isn't working.

How do I know if my roommate and I will get along?
Unless you already know each other, you and your roommate(s) probably share similar concerns. Review the Student Profile that your potential roommate completed to see if you are compatible. You can also email or call your roommate if they've provided contact information. Some of our students also look their potential roommates up on social media sites such as Facebook. The best way to ensure a successful relationship is to communicate clearly and effectively before you move to campus. You can take the "Roommate Quiz" online as well.

What if I do not get along with my roommate?
Residence Life staff are available in each building to help mediate roommate conflicts.

Are laundry facilities available?
Laundry facilities are available in each residence hall. East Campus halls (Mae Smith, Neely, Schneider and University Hall) have washers and dryers located on each floor, beginning with floor two. West Campus halls (Thompson Point) have washers and dryers located on the lower level of each residence hall and in the commons building, Lentz Hall.

The residence halls laundry machines operate using Debit Dawg, the debit card system used by the University. Deposits to a Debit Dawg Account may be made in person at Debit Dawg machines (located in University Housing commons areas), at the Check Cashing windows (located on the second floor of the Student Center), by Western Union wire transfer (addressed to SIU Carbondale), by mail or over the phone with VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.

The cost for laundry on campus is approximately $1 to wash and $1 to dry. Laundry questions may be addressed to your area office. Questions regarding Debit Dawg should be addressed to the ID Card Office in the Student Center.

Students may use Laundry View in the residence halls to determine availability of machines.

Can I have visitors or guests in my room?
Visitation has been approved for twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week unless visitation privileges are restricted or altered by staff. University Housing staff reserve the right to alter visitation privileges as situations may require for the proper operation of the residence halls. This includes declaring certain rooms off limits for visitation if the exercise of this privilege is creating problems. The right to privacy of roommates will be respected and permission must be granted by the roommate for a guest to be present. A resident may declare his or her room off limits to guests at any time. Guests must be accompanied by a host or hostess at all times. View The Guidebook for detailed information on this policy.

What should I pack, what should I leave at home, and what comes in my room?
New residents and their families often have many questions about what to bring. View the residence halls packing list for suggestions. Be sure to check with your roommate to see what s/he is bringing and willing to share before you purchase large or expensive items for your room. Also, refer to the Resident Handbook for more details on prohibited items.

Can I have a phone or computer access in my room?
You may bring a computer with you to your room. Wireless Internet is included with your residence halls contract. Computer labs are also available on campus. Telephone access is available in student rooms for an additional charge. Students wanting a land line telephone will need to activate their own phones and pay for their own services. Be sure to read the Getting Connected information prior to arrival to prepare your computer and to purchase the right items for your room.

What size carpeting should I get for my room?
The following sizes of carpets are the largest possible, based on the measurements that will not be obstructed by a convector, closet, door pillar, or sink (in suite-style rooms).

  • Mae Smith, Schneider & Neely (Single, Double & Temporary Rooms): 9ft 8in X 14ft 6in
  • Thompson Point (Single, Double & Temporary Rooms): 17ft 8in X 9ft 5in
  • Thompson Point (Triple Rooms): front room is 13ft 6in X 11ft, rear room is 9ft X 12ft
  • University Hall: Rooms are already carpeted on floors 2-4. Rooms on floor 1 will take a carpet around 15 ft x 10 feet.

Where is Freshman Housing?
We don't designate an entire area as "freshman housing". Our first-year students live in each of our residence halls. University Hall has a floor designated for junior/senior housing and accommodates freshmen and sophomore students on different floors.

How Do I Get Involved in My Residence Hall?
A variety of University Housing student organizations are available for you to join. These are a great way for you to meet friends, develop connections to University Housing staff members, gain event planning skills and have fun.

What is a Resident Assistant (RA)? RAs are students who have been selected and trained to provide a variety of services to residents. RAs answer questions about Housing and University policies and refer students to appropriate campus offices when they need help or services. They provide advice to students on personal and academic problems and mediate roommate conflicts. They are responsible for enforcing the rules in the Resident Handbook, the Student Code of Conduct and other University rules. RAs also plan and help students plan educational and recreational activities. Learn more about becoming an RA here.