Summer and Break Housing information is below.
Thanksgiving, Winter & Spring Break
Designated Break Housing is available in Neely Hall in limited quantities. Neely Hall residents may sign up at the designated times to remain in their rooms during scheduled University breaks. Residents of other on-campus residence halls may sign up for Break Housing during the posted sign up period, pending space availability in Neely. Specific Closing Information for each break is located on the left.
The cost of Break Housing is $27 per night and is charged to the student's Bursar Account. Break Housing is charged for the entire break, there is no discount for early departure or for partial stays.
Students planning on staying during breaks (whether in their own room in Neely or in a designated Break Housing space) should make Break Housing arrangements with the Residence Life Office, located in Trueblood Hall. Direct questions to the Residence Life Office at 618/453-3318. Only students signed up for Break Housing may access Neely Hall. All other halls are not accessible during break.
Additional guidelines and information is listed below.
- MEALS are NOT served during breaks. The dining halls are closed.
- GUESTS are NOT allowed during breaks. Students registered for break housing may visit other registered break housing residents.
- Residents staying during break must carry their student ID, FOB, and key at all times.
- Residents of Wall & Grand Apartments may stay in their apartments and are not subject to the fee associated with Break Housing in the residence halls.
University Housing reserves the right to alter the location of break housing as deemed necessary by such factors as, but not limited to, under-enrollment in break housing, issues with campus buildings or infrastructure, utility outages, etc. The University will provide comparable housing at the published rate, which may be located on- or off-campus, noting that exact duplication of Neely Hall rooms may not be possible.
Closing Information for each break is viewable in the links to the left. This information is updated each year. Questions can be directed to 618/453-3318.
The information below will be updated for Summer 2018 mid-spring.
Summer Housing is offered May 13 - August 12, 2017.
Most of our Summer Housing residents stay in a residence hall. Some residents (those in Workforce Education and Development Short Courses) stay in Wall & Grand Apartments for the summer. All areas are air-conditioned and furnished and include utilities, cable TV, wireless Internet and laundry facilities. Space is available for students with mobility impairments. Click here to apply or contract.
Residence Hall Housing
Summer housing will be at West Campus next to campus lake. These three-story residence halls offer laundry facilities, a student lounge and shared cooking space with a microwave and stove. Each room is furnished.
Intersession Housing (May 14 - June 9)
- LOCATION: Intersession Housing location is located in West Campus.
- ELIGIBILITY: Students must be enrolled for Intersession classes or have a Spring and Summer Housing contract on file.
- MOVE-IN: Move-in for new and current residents begins on May 14. Move-in should take place between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. More information about move-in is available here.
Summer Housing (June 10 – August 5)
- LOCATION: Summer Housing location is located in West Campus.
- ELIGIBILITY: Students must be registered for a minimum of three credit hours.
- MOVE-IN: Move-in is between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on June 10. More information about move-in is available here.
Intersession Housing (August 6-August 12)
- LOCATION: Intersession Housing is located in West Campus.
- ELIGIBILITY: Students must have had a Summer 2017 Housing Contract and be contracted for Fall 2017/Spring 2018.
- MOVE-IN: Students will move from summer housing to their fall assignment on August 12.
Fall 2017 Housing
Students residing in West Campus summer housing through August 12 will move to their Fall assignment on August 12. Additional charges will apply for students moving into their fall assignment early (Aug. 13-15).
Wall & Grand Apartments are located next to the Student Recreation Center. These four-story buildings offer four-bedroom fully-furnished apartments. Each apartment contains laundry facilities and a full kitchen. Short-term Workforce Education (WED) students residing in this complex during the summer will be assigned a single bedroom in a four-bedroom apartment. The remaining three bedrooms will be assigned to other WED students.
Summer Housing (Dates Vary)
- LOCATION: Wall & Grand Apartments
- ELIGIBILITY: These apartments are available to Workforce Education & Development (WED) Short Course students completing WED Short Course requirements.
- MOVE-IN: Move-in information is available here.
|University Hall||Residence hall room||$21 per night|
|Wall & Grand Apartments||Single bedroom in a four-bedroom apartment||$28 per night|
Applications, Contracts & Assignments
Complete and submit an application by clicking the link on the right of this page. You will be offered a contract after your application is processed, provided you meet eligibility requirements. Charges are based on contract dates. A prepayment of $150 (or the total amount due if less than $150) is due with your completed contract. You may make a larger payment up to the total amount owed at the time you contract.
Students will be sent an email with room assignment information prior to move in.
Students may add money to their Debit Dawg account for use at restaurants in the Student Center and in the community. More information is available by clicking here.
Find out how to prepare your computer by clicking here.
When packing for on-campus living, keep in mind that the spaces may not be as large as your space at home. Be mindful of what's already included and read through our packing tips and lists by clicking here. A couple of tips include remember dishes for Wall & Grand Apartments - the appliances are included but not the dishes, cutlery or pots and pans. Also, we offer a cable connection but not the television or necessary cable connectors in the residence halls and apartments.
Visiting Campus & Tours
Information on visiting campus and housing tours is available here.
Student Housing Policy
All single students under the age of 21, not residing with their parents or legal guardians and with fewer than 26 credit hours earned after high school are required to live in University-owned and operated residence halls.
Freshmen commuting from home must have a Housing Policy Verification Form completed. Student housing policies apply to the summer session as well as fall and spring.
Residents must comply with all University policies, including those found in the Resident Handbook. Please make sure you are familiar with the policies found in the Resident Handbook prior to moving in.
SIU is a smoke-free campus. Learn more by clicking here.
Alcohol is permitted during the summer semester in student rooms where students are 21 years of age and older.