Spring Semester Closing Information
All Residence Halls close at 2 p.m. on May 12.
Friday, April 27
- SPACE CHANGE: Last day to initiate a space change for the remaining Spring 2018 semester
Friday, May 11
- COMPUTER LABS: Grinnell and Lentz Computer Labs close at 5 p.m.
- MAIL ROOMS: Grinnell, Lentz, Trueblood and University Hall mail rooms close at 6 p.m.
- DINING HALLS: Trueblood and Lentz Dining Halls close at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, May 12
- COMMENCEMENT: Spring Commencement Ceremonies take place throughout the day. Learn more by clicking here.
- RESIDENCE HALLS: All Residence Halls close at 2 p.m.
The Area Offices will be open Saturday, May 12 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m..
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR RA FOR A CHECK-OUT TIME. A sign-up sheet will be posted on your RA’s door by Monday, April 30, 2018. Please sign up immediately.
Meet your RA at your scheduled time to Check-Out!
At the time of your appointment, the following items must be completed:
- Remove all possessions from your room.
- Empty and clean desk and dresser drawers.
- Empty and clean wastebasket.
- All trash and recycling should be taken to appropriate receptacles.
- Clean all shelves.
- Sweep floor and remove all trash from the room. Do not sweep dirt or leave trash in hallways or lounge areas.
- Remove all decorations, contact paper, posters, tape, tacks, etc.
- Clean and empty medicine cabinet (where applicable).
- Clean sink, toilet, and shower (should be free of mold and mildew) where applicable.
- Close and lock windows.
- Check your mail box
- Turn in your key(s)/fob to your RA.
- If you have lost your key(s)/fob the charges for new key(s) and/or fob will be indicated on your check-out form and will be billed to your Bursar Account. The charges are: Room Key-$75; FOB-$15; Apartment key (Wall & Grand)-$75; Mailbox key (Wall & Grand)-$15.
NOTE: Costs for lost keys and fobs are subject to change.
Failure to comply with check-out procedures will result in a $50 improper check-out charge.
Please check your mailbox BEFORE returning your key to your RA. Mail rooms will be closed on Saturday, May 12; however, you may contact the Area Office for assistance.
Cleaning kits and hand carts are available at your area’s Housekeeping Office and may be checked out beginning Monday, April 28 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Large trash bags will be left with each RA beginning April 28 and will be available for residents. All cleaning kits and hand carts must be returned by 3:30 p.m. daily.
Students living in Neely, Mae Smith, and Schneider with lofted beds will need to return all lofting equipment before meeting with their Resident Assistant to check out.
- RETURNS ON OR BEFORE MAY 6: Students wishing to return equipment on or before May 6 or outside of the scheduled times will need to return the equipment to the Mae Smith Housekeeping Office.
- RETURNS ON OR AFTER MAY 7: Beginning Monday, May 7, lofting equipment from Neely and Mae Smith should be returned to one of three marked, metal storage containers placed outside each of the towers. Lofting equipment return may be done between 8:30 a.m.and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
All bikes must be removed from the bike racks. PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR BIKE HOME. Bikes left on-campus after the buildings have closed will be discarded.
Storage is not available in the Residence Halls. If you need to store your belongings, contact local storage facilities located in Carbondale:
- A-1 Self Storage, 618/529-4200
- AAA Safe Storage, 618/549-0000
- Alligator Self Storage, 618/457-7867
- Carbondale Self Storage, 618/529-0012
- U-Haul Storage, 618/529-2771
For additional storage facilities, look in the Yellow Pages under Storage or check online.
Any room damages assessed to you will be noted on your Check-Out form. All charges for damages will be billed to your Bursar account, including any floor and/or building damages.
INTERSESSION AND SUMMER HOUSING
Information regarding Summer Housing, including rates and applications, is available by clicking here. You may also contact your area office for information.
Recycling and Donations
Think twice before putting unwanted items in the dumpster at move-out! Consider donating or recycling first!
Give and Go!
A collaboration between University Housing, SIU Sustainability, and the local community, Give and Go! is a way for students to donate gently used items to others.
Donation stations will be set up between May 3 and May 13 inside residence areas within University Housing residential areas (West Campus, East Campus, Wall and Grand, and University Hall). At these locations, students can drop off donations such as nonperishable food items, clothing (including shoes), small appliances, fans, and bedding. If a designated donation space needs attention during this time period, please contact the Truebood Office at 618-453-3318.
For more questions about sustainability, please contact the Sustainability Office at 618/453.2846 or email email@example.com.
For more information about community collaborators and recipients click here.
We hope you are recycling year-round. As you move out, though, keep in mind that many items can be recycled. More info about what can and cannot be recycled can be found here.