Room Selection & Assignments
SIU Housing Policy
View the SIU Housing Policy by clicking here.
A list of floor designations for the residence halls is available here.
New Spring Students
New students entering SIU for the Spring semester who contract for housing will be assigned a room and roommate.
New Fall 2018 Students
Information will be available mid-fall semester.
New Fall 2017 Students
Fall 2017 Students who contract Dec. 1, 2016 to Jul. 15, 2017
Students who contract during this period are eligible to select their own room. The earlier they contract, the earlier they may select their room. Students may change their room selection online through July 15 (the original June 30 date has been extended to allow more time for room selection!). Room selection dates will be posted in the housing portal in the spring. Click here to log into the portal.
Students who contract Jul. 16, 2017 or later
Students who contract on or after July 16 will be assigned a room unless enough space is available to all them to select their own space. More information will be provided during the summer. We cannot make any guarantees for requests.
Availability of Rooms
Returning students select their rooms before new students, which means some areas, buildings or floors will be full before new students even begin selecting their rooms. In addition, many areas or rooms have specific eligibility requirements (i.e. restricted Living Learning Communities). While we have plenty of space for our new students, they may not get their first, second, third, fourth, etc. choice, regardless of when they complete their contract or select their room. New students need to be flexible their first year but will be able to select their room before new students when they renew their contract the following year. Students who fail to select a room will have one assigned to them by our staff.
Room Selection Tutorial
To select a room, eligible students (those who contracted during the appropriate periods listed above) should follow the steps below. If their first choice isn't available, they should still select a different room or one will be assigned to them. Students may make changes to their room selection while the online room selection is available.
- STEP 1: Log into the University Housing Portal on your assigned room selection date.
- STEP 2: Click "Room Search" at the top of the screen.
- STEP 3: Search for available rooms - you can either click "search" to see all available rooms for which you are eligible or you can search by “Room Type”, “Location”, “Living Learning Community” and/or “Number of Available Beds”.
- STEP 4: View rooms with vacancies for which you are eligible. To request an exception to Living Learning Community (LLC) requirements, contact the individual listed on the specific LLC page. Exceptions are at the discretion of the LLC contact and are not guaranteed.
- STEP 5: Out of the list of available rooms, click on a specific room to view “Room Details”, including “Room Type”, “Location”, “Floor”, “Eligibility Requirements”, etc.
- STEP 6: Keep searching or select the room. To select the room, click on a bed and click "Reserve Bed".
- STEP 7: If you have accepted a roommate in the University Housing Roommate Finder program, please know that roommates are not automatically placed together in the room. YOU MUST "ASSIGN" THE OTHER BED TO YOUR ROOMMATE IN THE ROOM SELECTION PROGRAM IN ORDER TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM. Also, both students must meet eligibility requirements for the room or request an exception (see Step 4) and space must be available.
A confirmation page will be displayed once the reservation is complete.
Our university offers two Roommate Finder programs to help students find roommates. New students living in on-campus residence halls who wish to choose their own roommates MUST USE THE UNIVERSITY HOUSING ROOMMATE FINDER to request and accept roommates. Note: New students who wish to live with returning students should contact our Contracts Office at 618/453-2301 for assistance.
- The SIU "Roommate Finder" Program is located within the SIU Facebook App for SIU Carbondale. This program helps students find potential roommates whether they are living on or off campus. Although this program can help on-campus residents search for potential roommates, it cannot place them together in a residence hall room - this can only be done through the University Housing Roommate Finder, below.
- The University Housing “Roommate Finder” Program, located within the housing portal, is for new students living in on campus residence halls. New students may opt into this program and search for a specific person or possible matches once they complete their housing contract. Students using Roommate Finder will message each other and send and receive roommate requests through the program. Once a roommate request is accepted, the roommates wait for the earliest room selection date of both students. Pending space availability, the roommate with the earliest room selection date will select a room with a double vacancy (both students must meet eligibility requirements for the space) and will select one bed for him or herself and will assign the other bed to the accepted roommate.
Returning students may select their room immediately after completing the University Housing contract. Single and double rooms are available. Click here to view rates.
The profile of a prospective roommate is viewable when you select a room, provided the other space(s) have also been selected. If the profile isn't a good match, you may select a different room. If you wish to live with a new student, please contact us for assistance. The first few days of the contract renewal period allow students to reserve their current room. We then open room selection to any available room. These dates are posted throughout the areas and are emailed to current students. Students must meet eligibility requirements for the area, building or room that they select. Current students who contract but do not select a room will be assigned a room and roommate in late summer.
Contract cancellation information is available here.